Saturday, December 12, 2009

Attempting Hands and Shells

Before this last week it had been a while since I had drawn anything. I had missed the Tuesday before Thanksgiving because of a painting field trip so it's been about 2 weeks so I was feeling a little rusty.

In class on Tuesday, we started out discussing the face. We talked about the definitions for parts of the face. It was also interesting to learn about the different planes the face has and how to draw them successfully. It was hard to think of the nose having a top, bottom and side planes but it makes sense now that I think about it but I found it difficult to draw; to create space and structure for the nose as well as other facial parts was a challenge. When drawing faces, I thought it was hard to get the eyes to sit back and not seen like they were floating in front of the head. Another thing that was difficult to do was being drawn. It was weird to have someone drawing you and just having to sit and wait.
We also had a critique about our shells since some of us missed the critique on Tuesday, November 24 because of the painting field trip. I still am struggling with the cross contour shell drawing. I think I am getting better though. I think my problem is that I am over thinking things and not enjoying drawing the shell. This last time that we draw the shell, I am going to try just drawing the shell and not over analyzing it.

In class on Thursday, we started drawing hands, using the same information that we got from the feet lecture. I think that drawing the hands was easier than drawing the face but again problems arouse. I think that problem was being able to get the hand drawings to look like they had mass. It was hard to draw the poses of the hands when they were foreshortening or bent.

Below are some images of some hands and then my last shell drawing.



No comments:

Post a Comment